The University of British Columbia’s undergraduate medical students study Urologic Sciences under the instruction of the DUS faculty. The program, directed by Drs. Brian Mayson and Lynn Stothers, attracts faculty members from across the province who are committed to developing curriculum and advancing the potential of each student. The high calibre of the program attracts both Canadian and international undergraduates and provides an ideal environment for training basic and clinical scientists.
With lecture and seminar-based education during the first two years of medical school and clinical experience offered in subsequent years, the DUS endeavours to provide a supportive and effective learning environment. Students will gain experience treating common urological presentations while developing practical skills that will prove useful for general practitioners and those students hoping to specialize in urology.
- How to apply – Third Year Medical School: Elective and selective experiences in urology are available through the Surgery Clerkship administered by the Department of Surgery. These elective are offered only to UBC Medicine Students, and are not available to out of province students. Application for elective / selective experiences is administered through the Department of Surgery allocation process.
- Current Year 3 Clerkship urology experiences are offered at BC Children’s Hospital, Lions Gate Hospital, Ridge Meadows Hospital, St Paul’s Hospital, and Vancouver General Hospital.
- Fourth Year Medical School: Elective and selective experiences in urology are available to UBC and other Canadians students.
- Two-week electives are available at combined BC Children’s Hospital/St. Paul’s Hospital, combined BC Children’s Hospital/Vancouver General Hospital, Royal Columbian Hospital, Surrey Memorial Hospital, and Courtenay Hospital.
- How to apply – UBC students apply through the regular UBC elective block process. Instruction for OOP students (how/when to apply) is on the UGME website: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/visiting-student-elective-program/
- CPSBC non-credit elective for out of province students are also occasionally offered. Please contact the department of urological sciences for more information.
How to apply – UBC students apply through the regular UBC elective block process. Instruction for OOP students (how/when to apply) is on the UGME website: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/visiting-student-elective-program/. CPSBC non-credit elective for out of province students are also occasionally offered. Please contact the department of urological sciences for more information.
BC CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL (BCCH)
Dr. Andrew MacNeily, Division Head
Assistant Maria Chaperon
Burnaby General Hospital (BGH)
Dr. Vu Truong, Site Director
Barbara Shield, Site Coordinator
LIONS GATE HOSPITAL (LGH):
Dr. Victor Chow, Site Director
Michelle Snyder, Site Coordinator
MAPLE RIDGE HOSPITAL (RIDGE MEADOWS HOSPITAL) (RMH):
Dr. Greg Harrington and Dr. Michelle Strovski
Connie Robinson, Admin Assistant
Royal Columbian Hospital (RCH):
Dr. Brian Yang, Site Director
Nancy Blatchford, Site Coordinator
ST. PAUL’S HOSPITAL (SPH):
Dr. Brian Mayson, Site Director
Shelley Ikegami, Site Coordinator
Surrey Memorial HOSPITAL (SMH):
Dr. Dinesh Samarasekara, Site Director
Barbara Shield, Site Coordinator
VANCOUVER GENERAL HOSPITAL (VGH):
Dr. Alan So, Site Director
Fern Rushton, Education Coordinator